15 Aralık 2018 Cumartesi

Pantera "The Great Southern Trendkill" Album Review


Among all the records by Pantera, I can describe The Great Southern Trendkill with one simple word: Heaviest. Some of you maybe disagree with me, because there is a solid fact called "Far Beyond Driven". My first Pantera song was "I'm Broken" from that record. That groovy riff and punching drums had me headbanging just in three seconds, I'm not kidding. Rest of the album was totally killer and I believe Far Beyond Driven is Pantera's third best album, after "Vulgar Display of Power" and "Cowboys From Hell". Still, The Great Southern Trendkill take the lead on heaviness. Title track pummels me all the time. One of the Anselmo's best scream, hands down! Far Beyond Driven started and ended with strong groovy riffs. The Great Southern Trendkill started with hell of a bang! For me, I prefer groovy style of FBD. I admired bands effort and I truly believe The Great Southern Trendkill is a fun-ride from beginning to end. But I also believe that this album is a one step backwards.



Pantera's career was full of dynamic songs and strongly expressed emotions. Also they took a huge step forward with letting go that glam metal era. I don't think that glam metal is bad. There are good bands out there. I listen few. The solid fact that I'm talking about is; 90's Pantera is way better and strong than 80's Pantera. 90's Pantera is badassery. Okay, the album "Power Metal" was a signal for Pantera's style change. But wasn't strong enough. With "Cowboys From Hell", they did a marvellous job and took their music to the upper level.



The Great Southern Trendkill has one of the Pantera's all time fan-favorite songs: Floods. With Dimebag's clean guitar tone and Anselmo's different vocals, Floods is a different Pantera experience. This is the song that will make you let go your emotions and headbang them after. Lyrics will hand you down and Dimebag's sweet solo will take down all your walls. After that, you will headbang all your troubles away with that heavy breakdown. Bear in mind; take a close listen for that magical outro!

The Great Southern Trendkill was a step backwards, as I mentioned above. This doesn't mean that this album is a bad Pantera record. I believe Pantera's 90's era have never seen a bad record. Last two albums they recorded was overshadowed by the first three (in 90's of course) but nothing bad, seriously. This is a energy blast you need after exams; the headbang you need when you're angry and a beautiful piece of music when you need a good one. If you don't believe me, give a close listen to Phil Anselmo himself.

"The day we all arrived to meet up and go on our first tour for 'The Great Southern Trendkill', our road manager approached me and he said, 'Phil, you know, man, don't expect sold out shos, man. Heavy metal's on its way out. Kids are listening to different stuff. And it's gonna be rough. Don't expect this. Don't expect that.'
"And I was like, 'Great! I appreciate the pep talk.' But the best thing that remedied this bullshit diatribe was that he was dead wrong. That show - that first show - was packed to the gills, sold out, as were most of the other ones. So fucking in your face opinion."

Must Listen: The Great Southern Trendkill, Drag the Waters, Suicide Note Pt.1/Pt.2, Floods
Ranking: 3.75/5


Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder